Current FUFA President Moses Magogo, Robert Kabushenga and Allan Ssewanyana.

Kabushenga, Allan Ssewanyana Eye FUFA Presidency Amid Uncertainty Over Magogo’s Future

3 minutes, 15 seconds Read

Kabushenga renewed his ambitions on Thursday through a post on X, formerly Twitter, where he declared readiness to take charge of Ugandan football and criticized the current leadership at FUFA.

Interest in the Federation of Uganda Football Associations (FUFA) presidency is gathering momentum as several figures position themselves to potentially replace current president Moses Magogo, who is facing mounting scrutiny over alleged corruption-related matters.

Among those who have publicly expressed interest in the federation’s top job are former Vision Group Chief Executive Officer Robert Kabushenga and former Makindye West Member of Parliament Allan Ssewanyana.

Kabushenga renewed his ambitions on Thursday through a post on X, formerly Twitter, where he declared readiness to take charge of Ugandan football and criticized the current leadership at FUFA.

“I can bring about the footballing glory all we Ugandans dream of. Time to save our football from thieves. Let’s take back our game,” Kabushenga posted.

Witchcraft or Coincidence? Mystery and Grief Surround Death of Kayunga NRM Chairman Moses Karisa Karangwa

His comments come at a time when pressure is mounting on FUFA’s leadership, with sections of football stakeholders demanding reforms in governance, transparency and accountability within the sport.

Magogo, who also serves as the Member of Parliament for Budiope East in Buyende District, is reportedly under investigation in connection with corruption allegations involving his wife, former Speaker of Parliament Anita Annet Among. The allegations include abuse of office and illicit accumulation of wealth, although authorities have not officially confirmed Magogo’s direct involvement in the probe.

Public attention on Magogo intensified further after the United States and United Kingdom imposed sanctions on Among last year, with the fallout also affecting the FUFA president.

Kabushenga’s latest declaration revives ambitions he first expressed in 2013 when then-FUFA president Lawrence Mulindwa stepped down, paving the way for new leadership at the federation.

At the time, Kabushenga sought to contest for the presidency but later said he discovered that FUFA’s electoral regulations restricted eligibility to individuals with prior experience in football administration.

Reflecting on that failed bid, Kabushenga explained that he had initially believed any Ugandan passionate about football could contest for the position.

“When I made a decision, I didn’t know of the requirements. I thought every Ugandan who is a football lover is eligible to stand,” he previously said, adding that he later realized the position required specific administrative qualifications within football structures.

FUFA rules at the time required candidates to have at least three years of active football administration experience within the previous five years, alongside recognized roles within FUFA committees, assemblies or executive structures.

The regulations favored Magogo, who already held influential positions within the federation, eventually enabling him to win the presidency at the 2013 FUFA General Assembly in Jinja.

More than a decade later, Kabushenga says his renewed interest is motivated by the desire to rebuild trust in Ugandan football and strengthen domestic competitions.

He has outlined plans to develop grassroots football, improve the competitiveness and commercial value of the Uganda Premier League, and enhance player welfare.

“I would create opportunity for grassroots clubs and competitions to thrive, work with clubs to build a lucrative league that can attract players and put money in the pockets of players,” Kabushenga said.

He also pledged to promote women’s football and encourage Ugandans to reconnect with local football competitions.

“I would like to create opportunity for a female league and participation in the game. Most importantly, I will want to take Ugandans back to watching their local games,” he added.

Kabushenga’s remarks have reignited debate over FUFA’s electoral system, with some stakeholders calling for broader participation in the federation’s leadership beyond long-serving football administrators.

Meanwhile, uncertainty continues to surround Magogo’s future at FUFA headquarters in Mengo as investigations into the wider corruption allegations continue.

David Kabanda Cites Death Threats Amid Anita Among Endorsement Fallout

Let others know by sharing

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!