President Museveni Postpones Martyrs’ Day Celebrations

2 minutes, 15 seconds Read

“After consultations with the national epidemic response task force and religious leaders, we have decided to postpone the Martyrs’ Day celebrations to a later date, which will be communicated,” President Museveni said.

The Government has postponed this year’s Martyrs’ Day celebrations following the reported Ebola-related death of a traveller from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) who arrived in Kampala.

The decision was announced after consultations between President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, the National Epidemic Response Task Force, and religious leaders amid growing fears of a possible spread of the deadly virus through mass gatherings.

Martyrs’ Day, observed annually on June 3, is one of Uganda’s largest religious events and attracts thousands of pilgrims from across Africa to the Namugongo Martyrs Shrine.

The Quiet Rebellion Inside NRM: Oboth-Oboth’s Rise in the Speaker Race

According to government, the postponement is intended to protect the public from potential exposure to Ebola, especially given the influx of pilgrims from eastern DRC, where an outbreak has been reported.

“After consultations with the national epidemic response task force and religious leaders, we have decided to postpone the Martyrs’ Day celebrations to a later date, which will be communicated,” President Museveni said.

He noted that Uganda receives thousands of pilgrims annually from neighbouring countries, including eastern DRC, making the gathering a significant public health risk during the outbreak.

“This decision was made because Uganda receives thousands of pilgrims annually from Eastern Congo, which is currently experiencing an Ebola outbreak,” he said.

President Museveni emphasized that safeguarding lives remains the government’s top priority and urged Ugandans to remain vigilant and continue observing preventive measures.

“To safeguard everyone’s lives, it is essential that this important event be postponed,” he added.

The President also appealed to pilgrims who had already begun travelling to return home safely and report any suspected symptoms to health authorities.

“I encourage those who had begun their journey to return home, continue observing the precautionary measures, report anyone who is sick, and encourage those who are ill to seek medical care,” he advised.

Government further expressed regret over the inconvenience caused to pilgrims and religious communities that had already finalized preparations for the annual commemoration.

Wanyoto Shifts Focus to Deputy Speaker as Oboth-Oboth Camp Gains Momentum

“We regret any inconvenience caused, but the protection of life must come first,” the President said.

Martyrs’ Day commemorates 45 Christian converts who were executed between 1885 and 1887 under Kabaka Mwanga II and remains one of the biggest faith gatherings in the region.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health has intensified surveillance and emergency response measures following the Ebola death in Kampala, as authorities work to prevent any further spread of the virus.

Let others know by sharing

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!