Dr Shadat Mutyaba Ssemakula.

University Law Don Interdicted over Academic Documents

3 minutes, 22 seconds Read

Gulu University management has interdicted one of its senior lecturers over inconsistencies in his academic documents and personal information.

Dr. Shadat Mutyaba Ssemakula Mohamed, the Dean Faculty of Law was interdicted last week following investigations conducted by the University’s top management.

Dr. Shadat appeared before the top management between October 26 and December 2 this year to respond to inconsistencies noted on his academic documents, changes in names, incoherent and irreconcilable age, and educational history on his file.

Gulu University Secretary David Obol Otori, in a December 8 interdiction letter seen by Uganda Radio Network notes that different documents among them academic documents, National Identity Cards, and employment identity cards belonging to Dr. Shadat bear different names.

Otori highlighted that there were changes in names particularly on Dr. Shadat’s Uganda Advance Certificate of Education (UACE) and Diploma in Laws documents and tasked the accused to provide substantive evidence to show they were legally done.

For Instance, in the letter, Otori notes that Dr. Shadat’s birth date on his documents indicates he was born in July 1983 and managed to sit for the Primary Leaving Examination (PLE) by the age of approximately seven years.

Additionally, the documents reveal Dr. Shadat sat for the Uganda Certificate of Examination (UCE) at Kawempe Muslim Senior Secondary School in 1995 at the age of 12 and later sat for UACE in 1998 at the age of 15.

Dr. Shadat however reportedly provided new details on his birthdate, academic documents, and employment background in a letter to the chairperson Appointment Board dated November 28, 2023 solemnly affirming that his date of birth is January 25, 1978, instead of July 25, 1983.

According to Otori, the new details provided by Dr. Shadat have created the need for him to shed more light on information on his National Identity card and birth certificate which bears the date of birth as July 25, 1983.

Equally, the University management has asked Dr. Shadat to provide more details on his final transcript for his Bachelor of Law attained from Kingston University in 2007, Diploma Supplement for his Master of Law attained in 2009 from Kingston University, and a supporting letter dated November 23, 2016 from Brunel University in London.

“In line with the 15.9 of the Manual, you are hereby interdicted from the service of the University with immediate effect to pave the way for more investigation,” reads in part the interdiction letter.

Adding “You will be accorded the opportunity to be heard before the appointments board in line with the principles of natural justice.”

Gulu University Vice Chancellor Prof. George Openjuru Ladaah told Uganda Radio Network in an interview on Thursday that the University realized the inconsistencies during a recent validation exercise for all staff.

Prof. Openjuru said they hadn’t paid much attention to his academic documents since joining the University in 2016 until recently when he was asked to provide certified copies and also offer more clarification on the discrepancies detected.

“We asked him severally to bring us an explanation, but he failed. So, we asked him to step aside as we investigate,” says Prof. Openjuru.

Dr. Shadat however says the interdiction isn’t about his academic documents but a tribal fight that has been occurring against him for many years.

“This issue is not about academic documents at all. I have been in Gulu and all my documents were accredited by the National Council of Higher Education and they have the records. I was able to provide my education documents right from my primary level,” says Shadat.

He also accused the University management of failing to provide him a chance to be heard arguing that at one point, he was called to appear before the appointment board but was kept outside the meeting room for seven hours.

“I was called to appear before the appointment board at 1:00mm. When I went there, I sat out for seven hours up to 8:30pm and after they told me they were busy and the following day, the interdiction letter came out,” he said.


Let others know by sharing

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!